17 December 2009

number 1



last friday night, I rocked the backwards skate. true story.



I totally channeled my 9 year-old self and crossed number 1 off the (now outdated) list.



though apparently, I am not an advanced backwards skater. which I (unfortunately) discovered during the advanced backwards skate. in my defense, I did not hear the announcer say 'advanced'. all I heard was 'backwards skate' and the 9 year-old in me yelled GO before I had a chance to properly assess the situation.



for the record, I do not recommend the advanced backwards skate for anyone who cannot skate backwards at a breakneck speed. but should you find yourself in this particular situation, hug the sides and pretend like you know what you're doing. lean into it with your hips but do not close your eyes. then slowly make your way to the snack bar. that's where they sell the cherry icees. you will most likely need a cherry icee after the advanced backwards skate. you will also need a deep tissue massage and a special medal of honor.

which are all things I will keep in mind for next time. and there will be a next time, I am sure of it.

21 comments:

  1. backwards skating! epic adventure night. I never got good enough to forward skate with skill, nevermind backwards. your skate photos are lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lived in my skates when I was in 7th and 8th grade and I was hot stuff....

    backwards, couple dancing, the limbo...oh yeah, I did it all !

    my luck today if I tried it...I'd fall and break my wrist and never be able to hold my camera again....

    I have a friend that's a derby girl just like in the movie "whip it".....have you seen that yet ?

    you'll love it !

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of your funniest posts EVER.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, roller skating! I could speed along in a forward manner, but I never made it past "moderate" with backwards skating. My favorite thing (as a 9-year old) was the snowball skate. I couldn't wait to see who paired with whom, who split and changed partners... the anticipation was beyond exciting. Also, I remember that the boy I liked wore a size 5. I think I must have followed him around a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. i used to LOVE rollerskating. i had these beautiful red and white skates and i would skate around the neighborhood for hours. at some point i convinced myself i was clumsy and started to fall. alot.

    i am so jealous. i may call my mom and see if she still has my skates.

    and yes, see whip it. its AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dude, I can not even frontwards roller skate (advanced or otherwise) and can barely even ice skate, which is substantially easier and less high-speed. You are my roller skating hero for even attempting. My butt would be one giant bruise if I were in your situation.

    ReplyDelete
  7. you are a delight in every single way :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. I am impressed! Where did you go? That's not Oaks Park, is it?

    By the way...your present is growing! (Don't worry--not mold.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. ahh rollerskating! that must have been so nostalgic. looks so fun! your photos are beautiful. xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome post. I love the idea of rollerskating. I haven't done it in years!! Great photos from the night too. Will you be posting your list this year? :)


    Asha

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hilarious post! It made my morning. And good for you to be taking pictures on roller skates!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow I didn't know that anyone could Advanced Backwards Skate. So well done!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh that is sweet! Roller skating is one those wonderful youthful activities I love, love, loved. I put ice skates on for the first time in 20 years last year and though it was not a pretty sight, I would like to do it again. Yay for you for lacing up.
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. this makes me want to go skate!

    ReplyDelete
  15. really. i'm on it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ok, I can ice skate .. and I have roller skated in my time, though very badly (which reminds me of the time I almost fell and caught myself by grabbing onto the jacket of the male half of a happy skating couple, LOL), but backwards!

    Loved reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't think I can even stand in skates. I'm loving that 2nd photo, with the tights in focus and the skates just slightly out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. go andrea! hurray for yummy mummy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi there! Just came across your blog... love love love all your photos! :)

    ReplyDelete